• The Hewlett-Woodmere Public School District, District 14, is located in the southwest section of Nassau County, New York and borders the borough of Queens.

    District Map

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I find out if my residence is within Hewlett-Woodmere Public Schools' district boundaries?

    The boundaries of the Hewlett-Woodmere Public Schools district include parts of Hewlett, Woodmere, Lynbrook and Valley Stream. If you do not know whether your current or a prospective residence is within the district's boundaries, you may call the Registration Office at (516) 792-4826 or send an email here

    What is the age cutoff for pre-kindergarten registration? When do we register?

    Children whose fourth birthday falls on or before December 1 may be registered for pre-kindergarten that year. Pre-kindergarten registration is usually scheduled in February, but registration in all grades is accepted year-round for new residents. For further information about pre-kindergarten registration, click here

    What is the age cutoff for kindergarten registration? When do we register?

    Children whose fifth birthday falls on or before December 1 may be registered for kindergarten that year. New residents can register for kindergarten year-round, but documents are typically made available in March. For further information about kindergarten registration, click here

    How do I know which elementary school my child will attend?

    Enrollment in one of the two elementary schools is determined by the neighborhood in which you live. If you do not know which elementary school serves your neighborhood, you may call the Registration office at (516) 792-4826 or click here to email the Registration office. Click on the map below to expand. 

    Are there differences between elementary schools?

    Both elementary schools follow the same curriculum; while each school has its own personality and style, the standards of teaching and student services are uniformly high throughout the District.

    How do we register for transportation?

    Once registered through the registration office, information will be shared with the transportation department. If you need transportation to a non-public school, you may contact the Transportation department directly at (516) 792-4814. 

    Does the District offer before and after care for students? 

    The Five Towns Community Center provides before and after care at our District buildings. Please contact them directly at (516) 239-6244 or email them for more information. 

    How do I find out more information about the programs offered at the high school? 

    There are no shortage of amazing opportunities at George W. Hewlett High School. From an extensive course of study guide to the wide range of clubs, athletic teams, and extracurricular activities, you are sure to find your place at HHS. Our students are taught to think creatively, ask tough questions, delve deeply into research utilizing the latest technology, to communicate through a variety of media, and to collaborate with peers and adults. Click the links below to learn more: 

    Or visit the high school website here

    What services does the District provide for special education students?

    The District offers the full continuum of services for eligible students with disabilities. We pride ourselves on providing opportunities for students to learn in an inclusive setting within the least restrictive environment. Careful consideration is given to creating programs that meet the needs of eligible students and adhere to the NYS Commissioner’s Regulations and the District’s policies.

    How do I get my child evaluated for special education services?

    In order to have your child evaluated for special education services, you will first need to register your child with the District through the Registration office.  You can find the registration information here. Once your child is registered, the information is shared with the Office of Special Education and Student Support Services (SESS).  You can reach the SESS Office at (516) 792-4804. 

    After your child is registered, if they are between 2.5 and 5 years old (and have not yet entered kindergarten), you can make a referral to the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) and request evaluations in the area(s) of concern. 

    If you have concerns about your school-age child (kindergarten or older), you can make a referral to the Committee on Special Education (CSE) and request evaluations in the area(s) of concern.  This is done through the building psychologist.  After you register your child for school, you can call the main office of the school to connect with the psychologist.

    How do I arrange for a school tour?

    School tours are arranged through the individual school offices. Please call the school directly to make arrangements. For school contact information, click here.