GEORGE W. HEWLETT HIGH SCHOOL
60 Everit Avenue
Hewlett, New York 11557-2136
Theodore Fulton, Ed.D., Principal
Tom Naglieri, Assistant Principal
Richard Mangeri, Assistant Principal
To begin the new school year, I would like to send you a few helpful reminders to ensure your child will have a safe start to the new school year. In addition, please update any changes to your child’s health history including any special needs that merit our attention.
- Students are not allowed to carry medications in school with the exception of an Epi-Pen & Asthma Inhalers. All medications must be kept in the Health Office with the doctor’s order on the medication form. You can download the medication forms on the High School Web Site under Nurse.
- Please note, if your child becomes ill or injured during the school day, only people listed on their emergency contact record will be allowed to sign them out of school. Please make sure the emergency contact record is updated. If changes need to be made, please call 792-4826 or fax the changes to 374-8139
- If your child has any allergies (including food allergies) that have the potential for anaphylaxis, please ensure your child has their Epi-Pen & proper medication forms on file in the nurse’s office. Forms can down-loaded from High School’s web site under the Nurse tab. It is also advisable to send in an extra Epi-Pen to keep in the Health Office in the event your child forgets or misplaces theirs. The High School Nurse also carries Epi-Pens in the High School Emergency Bag.
- If your child is a Type 1 Diabetic, please send in the doctor’s orders for your child’s Diabetic Plan and the recommended treatment for hyperglycemia and/or hypoglycemia. Also, please send in the Glucagon with the doctor’s order on the Medication Form. Make sure your child has their supplies: Glucometer, snacks, Glucose tabs or Glucose gel. We have an area in the Health Office for Diabetic supplies & testing. Insulin can be stored in the Health Office refrigerator.
- If your child has Asthma & is self-directed, please have them carry their inhaler as needed. We are also able to keep an extra inhaler in the Health Office. Please send in the Med-Nebulizer medication if needed with the doctor’s order on the medication form. The High School Health Office has a Nebulizer for your child’s use. There is no need to send one in.
- If your child has any injuries or illnesses that require them to be excused from Physical Education or Adapted Physical Education, a doctor’s note must be handed in to the Health Office. School personnel in the nurse’s office will assist with handing out elevator passes, a second set of books, or any other health related issue as requested by your doctor.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the Health Office at 792-4110.
Susan Camuti, R.N.