(I could not get the full game to upload to my website so I put frames onto this link.)
Measurement and Microscopes
Over the next unit we will be learning how to make appropriate and accurate scientific measurements in the lab, as well as learning how to use the microscope. We will be addressing the following aspects within these topics...
* measuring mass using a triple beam balance
* measuring volume using a graduated cylinder
* measuring length using a ruler or meter stick
* measuring temperature using a thermometer
* using SI units of measurement
* identifying parts of a microscope and learning their functions
* calculating total magnification when using a compound microscope
Using your laptops, open the following links to help you practice how to make accurate measurements using the scientific instruments we will be using this year as well as learning the parts of the microscope.
Practice Measuring Mass Using a Triple Beam Balance
Practice Measuring Volume Using a Graduated Cylinder
Practice Measuring Length Using a Ruler or Meter Stick
Practice Converting Units of Scientific Measurement
Practice Identifying Microscope Parts
If you are having trouble with any of these concepts or skills please come to extra help at 8:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays for assistance.
The activities in this unit address ITSE Standards 2a, 2b, 2c, and 2d. It also addresses the standards set forth by the Hewlett-Woodmere UFSD regarding measurement and use of scientific equipment.