In 1898, the New York State Legislature created Union Free School District No. 14, the Hewlett-Woodmere School District, to serve the educational needs of children residing in Hewlett, a large part of Woodmere, and all or part of the incorporated villages of Hewlett Bay Park, Hewlett Neck, Hewlett Harbor, Lynbrook, Woodsburgh and Valley Stream.
It was in the mid-1600s that the Hewlett-Woodmere area was first settled. Mr. Samuel Wood and the Hewlett family were the area’s foremost developers. A one-room schoolhouse was built in Hewlett and the first high school opened its doors to students in 1894.
Today, the district is comprised of five schools, servicing approximately 3,400 students in pre-k through twelfth grade.