Dr. Joyce M. Bisso took the helm as Superintendent of Hewlett-Woodmere Public Schools in July 2010. She has been a District administrative leader for twenty years.
She joined the District as Assistant Principal of George W. Hewlett High School in 1994, and served as Interim Principal from December 1998 through June 2000. In 2000, Dr. Bisso was named Principal, a position she held until June 2006, when she was appointed Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction.
She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English magna cum laude from St. Joseph’s College, a Master of Science degree in Administration with Departmental Honors from Long Island University, and a doctorate from Teachers College, Columbia University. Her dissertation study was on the perceptions of teachers related to the impact and implications of the mandated Regents examinations in English and social studies in suburban school districts.
Dr. Bisso is the recipient of numerous awards and achievements throughout her professional career including the 2001 Raymond R. Delaney Memorial Scholarship and the 2007 Town of Hempstead Pathfinder Award for "Women of Distinction.” She has also served as President and Trustee of the Board of Education and as PTA Council President for Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District.
She currently serves on the following Boards and Committees:
- Steering Committee of the Tri-State Consortium (TSC)
- Co-facilitator of the TSC Assistant Principal Study Group
- Nassau County Council of School Superintendents (NCCSS) Executive Board
- NCCSS Curriculum Committee
- Co-Chair of NCCSS Special Education Committee
- NCCSS Celebration of Student Excellence Committee
- EdLeader21 Assessment of 21st Century Skills Study Team
Dr. Bisso has also been a featured presenter at the following professional forums and conferences:
- Nassau County Council of School Superintendents Aspiring Superintendents Workshop
- College Board Regional Conference: "Creating a Community Vision for 21st Century Learning"
- EdLeader21 Ignite Sessions: Youth Leadership Forum (2012) and Financial Literacy (2013)
- Camp Snowball 2013: Authentic Youth Engagement
Among her many responsibilities and regular visits to the classrooms at all five schools, Dr. Bisso chairs the District Leadership Team, co-facilitates the Youth Leadership Forum at Hewlett High School and at Woodmere Middle School, and is co-facilitating the Educating the Future for the Future Steering Committee. She has coordinated the Community World Cafes in which students and adults collaborate on the vision of a 21st century education in HWPS. In addition, Dr. Bisso has presented both regionally and nationally on Student Leadership and Systems Thinking, and contributed a chapter on the Youth Leadership Forum to Schools that Learn, by Peter Senge, et al.
Dr. Bisso’s personal mission is to open the gates of opportunity and choice for every learner.